Thursday, December 13, 2018

New Book of Poetry by Jason Deatherage

Today I got a package in the mail from Canada.  It was Jason Deatherage's new book of poetry, "Up Closer to the Sky: Poems from a Mountain Hut."

I am not what you'd call a big fan of poetry, but I've known Jason for so long that I knew I had to read it.  It's a beautiful book, and I started from the front, and read it all the way through.  I think this is a book intended to be read in sequence, since it takes you through the year, beginning with fall and winter.

Jason writes that the Taoist and Chan (Zen) hermits took to the hills in ancient China to meditate, contemplate nature, and get basic.  This collection is offered in the spirit of those old mountain dwellers.

I could picture Jason in a mountain hut, after a day of chopping wood and hauling water, sitting at a little table by candlelight writing (which may not be too far from the truth).  The poetry is simple, and reminiscent of Basho.

His book is illustrated by a well-known Canadian wood-cut artist, James McDowell.

It's available as a kindle book, or you can get a hard or soft cover from Blurb. Here's the link: http://www.blurb.com/b/8978656-up-closer-to-the-sky?fbclid=IwAR3yGsBXcnWcy430DlNi9CX5pcqfjh9tnka6i0oO-WkAtpTQQ70hYMaS6xs


No comments: