Monday, February 04, 2019

The Bioscarf: A big scarf with something extra


PRODUCT REVIEW: The Bioscarf



[Nyerges is the author of “How to Survive Anywhere,” “Foraging California,” “Extreme Simplicity,” and other books. He has been leading survival classes since 1974.  More information at www.SchoolofSelf-Reliance.com]

I recently had the opportunity to test something called the “bioscarf.”  Yes, it’s a scarf, and everyone knows I like scarfs.  I’ve worn them all my life.  I used to love alpaca wool scarves, and then I was given a Polartech scarf, and I preferred that. 

I like long scarves too, but not the very long scarves that really get in the way.  I cannot get the story of Isadora Duncan out of my mind, who loved very very long silk scarves, and she enjoyed wearing them in her convertible.   While driving one day in September, 1927, her enormous scarf got caught in the rear hubcabs of her car, and she was strangled to death.  Ghastly!  Well, I don’t drive a convertible and I cannot imagine wearing a scarf over six feet long!  Or can I?

The bioscarf actually measures in at seven feet long, and 9 inches wide. That’s big, but not too big to get caught in your car’s wheels.  Byclists be careful.

I like its size, and though it comes in white, olive, black, and camo, I couldn’t resist the camo.  But its main selling point is not the size – it’s what’s hidden inside the fabric.

Bioscarf is actually a stylish air mask that keeps your neck and head cozy while filtering out unwanted air contaminants, germs, second hand smoke, pollen and other allergens. This can protect you from colds, flus, pneumonia, tuberculosis and allergens.  Bioscarf is the first scarf with an N95 air filter layer built right into the  scarf.

When tested by Nelson Labs against normal masks and respirators,  the bioscarf outperformed some of the most popular masks available today with a 99.75% average filtration efficiency. In addition to doing its job effectively,  the bioscarf is made from sustainable materials. Post-consumer recycled PET water bottles go into the fabric, while the signature labels are made from recycled PVC. It is also built to be long lasting and reusable, meaning less disposable air filters in the landfill.   And this filter is reusable – just wash the scarf by hand from time to time after use.


So, if you’re in a situation where you might otherwise put on a face mask, you can just wrap the scarf over your mouth and nose, and breathe through it.  Maybe you’re an allergy sufferer, visiting somewhere with poor air quality, on you’re on a bus or plane where everyone is sneezing and coughing.   Bioscarf will give you some protection.

I like the multi-use aspect of the bioscarf, and when I’m wearing mine, it gives me the feeling of being protected, as if I’m living in a Mad Max, Book of Eli, or Bladerunner, world.  But that’s a crazy idea, since everyone in those futuristic dystopian societies would probably be wearing rags.  Still, the bioscarf is one of those garments that you’ll be glad  you have. It’s functional, and provides a layer of protection that other scarves just don’t provide.

They run about $45, and are available at eartheasy.com, or Amazon.

No comments: